Tuesday 12 August 2008

Reading Festival is back to its rocking best!

READING FESTIVAL

Little John's Farm
Richmond Avenue
Reading

The last couple of years I have found myself being a little jubious of Reading Festival. Why? For the simple reason that the bands playing, especially the headliners, haven't really captured my idea of what Reading Festival is- first and foremost a rock festival. The bands headlining appeared to still be in their prime, lacking a backbone strong enough to justify a headline slot. Take for instance Razorlight and the Klaxons, I'm not criticising their music in any way, but in 10 years could they still be headliners? That's why this year I was thrilled when Rage Against the Machine, Metallica and Manic Street Preachers were all announced, not only are they bands who have proved they deserve to be up there with their constant and expanding fanbases, but they bring me back to the idea of how I used to see Reading, a place where I could catch big acts I really admire amongst fans not just from my city but others too and just take it all in in a special environment. If I wanted to see some buzz bands I would just go to a smaller festival and pay less money, but this year I feel Reading has delivered and made spending that large sum worthwhile. There's still a wide mix of bands on various other stages, but the main stage has been preserved for acts who deserve to be there.

WHO WE'LL BE SEEING

Rage Against the Machine
Queens of the Stone Age
The Cribs
Bullet For My Valentine
Seasick Steve

WHAT WE'LL BE WEARING

Who cares? Whatever the hell we happen to be wearing when we get there!

Stacey Evans