Monday 14 April 2008

ALBUM: Dan Bowskill - More Than Music


Anyone with an open eye in London would probably have seen the name Dan Bowskill scratched into ATMs and bus stops for the last few months, but how many know who he is or what he does? Dan Bowskill seems to be something of an identity crisis - soul singer? Jazz musician? Reggae artist? He could fit all titles comfortably, as 'More Than Music' his debut offering he blends those genres and more with a confidence and world weary tone that is unusual for his 25 years.

With reggae I'm out of my comfort zone, it's the kind of thing I enjoy hearing through the open window of a neighbours house on a hot July day but not something I'd sit on the tube listening to. And Bowskill doesn't offer me anything new; there is nothing here to make me rethink. He plays on the past - even his gravelly vocal is tinged in nostaglia. He combines all those well trodden influences - Gregory Isaacs, Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, but somewhere in the mix he misses himself out.

'More Than Music' is a decent debut, but on a warm dusk I'd be happier listening Dillinger over the garden fence.

Claire Evans

No comments: